Friday, July 25, 2014

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

Kinglets, along with Verdins & Bushtits are teeny, tiny songbirds (aka, "micro-birds"). While Bushtits are very common in these parts, I've only seen Verdins in the desert (at the Salton Sea's Sonny Bono Wildlife Refuge  - yes, it's that Sonny Bono, of Sonny & Cher fame, Mayor of Palm Springs and Congressman - may he RIP), and Kinglets in forests/woodlands. So imagine my surprise when I saw this male Ruby-crowned in my herb garden! At first I thought it was a vireo or one of those darned little indiscernible Empidonax flycatchers, until I saw that unmistakable flash of red when he very briefly raised his crown. Haven't seen one since, but you never know...


12/12/07 Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula). This cute little guy was on a dill plant in the herb garden. 

Description from the Kaufman Focus Guide: "Tiny, short-tailed, with with wing-flicking action, bold white eye ring. Wings usually show one strong white wing-bar, with a black bar just behind. Male's ruby crown patch raised only in excitement."

Family: Regulidae (Kinglets)

12/12/07

No comments:

Post a Comment